Thursday, December 14, 2006

 

Where did the time go?

I am bad, bad about getting new posts up to my blog. I didn't realize it has been ten days since my last one but I guess it has. We have been busy with all the things the holiday season includes, like shopping, visiting friends and family and of course drinking mochas. Anyway, we also went to see a live show on Sunday the 10th at the historic Lincoln Theater in Mt. Vernon. The mainliner was Stan Boreson, a long time local performer from the Seattle area who had a TV show for nearly twenty years. He plays the accordian, has written many songs, some of which are paradays of others, and is a humorist. Anyone in my age range who has lived the the Puget Sound area very long will know him from the past and it is good to say that he is still performing and celebrating his 48th year in show business. Pat and I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Stan Boreson 01
This first photo is of the Harmony Northwest Chorus, a barbershop harmony group that is affiliated with the Sweet Adelines International group. They performed a group of songs. These photos are not totally sharp as they were taken without flash using just stage lighting. The exposure time on this photo was 1/8th second and they were hand held.

Stan Boreson 02
The next photo is of Hugo's Accordion Band. It was re-started in 1994 after 35 years since their last performance. Hugo Helmer founded the group in 1935 and it still carries on the tradition of Scandinavian folk and dance music. The exposure on this one was 1/10th second. Notice the blur from the director's wand.

Stan Boreson 03
Here is Stan himself. Again it is a prettly slow shutter speed, but a little faster than the previous two. He stood with the accordian on at the microphone for a full hour. I am twenty-some years younger than he is and am not sure I could have done that.

Stan Boreson 04
Stan again with the brilliant red velvet curtains of the Lincoln Theater behind him. The theater is a historic monument and still presents movies as well as various live shows such as this one.

We have attended a couple of Christmas parties in the last week and I have photos of the latest one that I should be able to post in a day or so here. They include my pretty lady in a cute little black dress, along with me for contrast, kind of a Beauty and the Beast thing.

Labels: ,


Comments:
well it's nice to hear from you. And it's nice to know that you are having too much fun to post.

I remember Stan too.
 
It was good to see a new post from you, Dick, and I look forward to seeing the pics from the party.

I'm glad you're enjoying the holiday season this year with Pat.

Merry Christmas, Dick and Pat! ;D
 
sounds like a wonderful show.
It is so great to hear how happy you are, Dick. I am so pleased for you.
Have a great weekend.
Take care, Meow
 
Got to love the accordion. Of course, if you are an accordion player you have to put up with a lot of abuse.

I recall a cartoon from some years back implying that if you're a musician and get sent to Hell when you die - they give you an accordion. :)
 
Sweet Adelines! I used to "unofficially" sing with them (except at competitions) with my ex-mother-in-law back in the 70's, and I loved it.

I'm glad to hear you're happy Dick. Here's to a good Christmas for you this year! :)
 
Great pictures, Dick! You get around more than I do! (((((HUGS)))))
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?