Friday, March 14, 2008

 

Last day in Hawaii

I'll go ahead and post the last of our Hawaii trip. Getting these posts finished has drug out quite awhile, since the trip was the last week of October but there have been other things going on and I did have a lot of photos I wanted to post. Both Pat and I were taking them and I've mixed them up here in the posts about the trip. Between us we took well over a thousand photos on the trip. These photos cover a bit about our last full day on Maui and a couple from the trip home to Seatac Airport in Seattle, WA. We didn't get "home" until the next day as our plane arrived too late to take the last shuttle bus trip home so we stayed overnight in a hotel near the airport, coming home the next morning.

Maui 122
While there we ate out for almost all of our meals and always at a different place. This restaurant was related to another where we ate dinner early in our trip. Both were good. We ate breakfast at this one which was near the post office in Kehei. There are a lot of interesting signs posted here and one that caught my interest was this one-
Maui 121
I tried to talk Pat into taking these lessons but she said "No."

Maui 123
Here is another of the Koi fish in the pool at the garden near our Bad Ass Coffee shop and the open air shopping beside it. This was a nice, shady place to sit and drink a mocha while people watching or fish watching. Or both.

We did a lot of looking around that day but have already covered part of it in photos. In the late afternoon, just before sunset, we got into our swim suits and walked across the street to Kamaoli Park 3. Pat's grand daughter is quite a good volley ball player and there were some boys there playing a version of volley ball with a ball that was about 2 feet in diameter, so she took some photos of them. I took a photo of her taking photos of them. I like to look at her better than I'd like to look at them.
Maui 125

Then we went down to the actual beach where there already were quite a few people gathering to wait to watch the sunset. While there, Pat took a photo of me taking photos of the sunset-
Maui 126
It did seem a little darker than these photos make it look but that is because the camera exposure system is trying to make it look like a normally lighted photo. The one of Pat did still have some of the late day very warm toned sunshine on her.

Maui 128
This is looking down the beach to the north. The clouds above the West Maui Mountain Range are catching the rays of the setting sun so are contrasting nicely with the deeper blue of the sky.

Maui 127
Here is a closer shot of Pat & I with the sunset in the background. I set the camera and asked a passerby who was taking photos with his own camera to take a few with mine. The camera's flash unit was set to provide a bit of fill light so that we wouldn't just appear as black silhouettes against the brighter sky, but to keep a good exposure of the sky. He did a good job.

Maui 124
Here's another of Pat's where she exposed for the sunset, letting the foreground go darker. Photoshop has brought back a bit of detail in the foreground but you can see how dramatic the sky was. The light on the beach was actually somewhat in between what is seen here and the lighter beach scenes.

Maui 129
We were getting ready to leave the condo the next morning. Pat had been out on the deck taking photos and came walking back inside as I was taking some last photos of the inside of the condo. This one shows a good example of that mirror wall that we finally got used to but it sure seemed odd at first. It made the place look larger than it really was but in a kind of confusing way. Notice the post office mailing box on the chair, ready to mail home. We bought two more bags to check on the airline to carry things we bought home and still ended up mailing two of those post office boxes with things we couldn't get in anywhere else. A lesson for our next trip - take at least one extra empty suitcase over with us.

Maui 130
Pat had the window seat on our flight back and took some photos at the airport, including this one of another plane like the one we flew on. Hawaiian Airlines uses very colorful tail paint on their aircraft!

Maui 131
This is someplace mid-Pacific Ocean as the sun set. There is not much to see from 37,000 feet up, especially when the ocean is covered by low level clouds, but she did catch a pretty dramatic sunset and with the left wing of our plane included.

Haleakala panarama 1- 6 inch wide
I still think Mount Haleakala is the most dramatic sight to see on Maui so am going to close out our trip photos with this panorama of the crater on Mt. Haleakala. I have posted it in an earlier post I think but it is interesting. I made it up by combining three separate photos into one, letting Photoshop Elements version 6 stitch them together into this one photo. Click on this image and go look at it in a larger size on my Flickr site where these photos are all hosted.

I love Maui as a place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would like to go back sometime in the future but it really is a long way to go and, until that genie builds the bridge, I can't drive our RV over so have to fly and then sleep in someone else's bed. We may go back but I think we are both glad that we did go there together at least once. It is a magical place.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
I know this sounds silly, but I find the sunset photos intimidating. I can't see the far shore! I know the far shore is probably China, but it makes me realize how isolated Hawaii really is.

Very beautiful though.

L
 
That Pat is just no fun for not wanting to take the free surfing lessons.
 
yOU ARE BOTH SO LUCKY TO HAVE BEEN THERE , IT IS BEAUTIFUL !
I always enjoy your PICs and Pats , thanks for letting us tag along , beauty of a spot . and maybe next time pat will watch you have the naked lessons hahah
and by the way the squirrel in the superman suit , found it online on a free site , so copy away for your friend .
LOL

Take care
Mr Mocha

Greeneyes
 
I'm kinda sad to see the last of your Hawaii posts, but I suppose all good things must come to an end. I agree, I'd love to visit Hawaii but I wouldn't want to live there.

Hope you have a great weekend, Dick. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane
 
I'm sad to see the last of your Maui photos too. You both took such beautiful shots of everything.

The sunset pics are lovely, and looking north down the beach toward the Kealia (where I always stayed) makes me want to cry.

I love your pano shot Dick, well done!
 
Hi Dick, Ive enjoyed viewing all your holiday shotsand sad to hear this is the last holiday post.

Hi Pat. Weres your sense of adventure, naked surfing lessons, hehehe. Its ok I would also decline the lessons..LOL..
 
thanks for sharing those photos as they are beautiful. Looks like a great trip for you both
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?