Friday, March 27, 2009

 

Another birthday

Last Sunday Pat and I drove south to Auburn to attend a birthday party to celebrate the 12th birthday of my oldest granddaughter, K. I can't believe that she is almost a teenager already. She was born while my older son was on his first deployment in his Navy career so she was about three and a half months old when he first was able to hold her. The Navy lets those sailors who's wives have delivered babies while they were deployed be the first off the ship, and B was about the second of the bunch of a dozen or so.

K is now 12 and I guess that makes her kind of still a kid but not yet quite a teenager (I know teenagers all think they are adults but we know better.) I have no idea what a girl of that age wants in the way of birthday presents so I took the easy way out and got her a gift certificate for a store where I know she likes to shop. She did get quite a few gifts and I think mine was the only gift certificate, but much of the rest of the family lives closer so were able to know more about what she would want. I did take a few photos-

12th birthday party 1
Here's the birthday girl looking through a bag with a number of gifts inside. Yep, she is still enjoying this opening gifts thing.

12th birthday party 2
This is the card from Pat and I. It is a funny one. She is still young enough that funny birthday cards work, but she is young enough that they are not "aren't you getting old" themed. It was fun picking it out.

12th birthday party 3
She sat across the table from Pat and I for awhile and I got what I think is a pretty cute photo of her snuggled against the shoulder of her other Grandpa. When she was a small baby until when Annie & I moved to Mount Vernon, K would spend most Saturday nights with us and go to sleep on my lap in my recliner chair. She was so cute and sweet then. She is still cute and sweet, but not small enough to go to sleep sitting on Grandpa's lap in a recliner. One more year and she will be a teenager.

I guess wonderful memories like that is a part of the fun side of growing older.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Ahh kids are great!
Phil and I bought a lot in the Rio Grande Valley so that will be home in the winters, we hope. We would love to come back to WA for work, we still have friends there that we miss a lot.
 
She's beautiful, Dick. They grow up so fast! Emmy will be 2 in May and wonder where has the time gone?

Happy Friday, and have a great weekend! :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane
 
Hi Dick...great photos. Hope all is well with you and that April is starting good for you. Have a great end of the week

Love, Jess
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?